PS 178 Academics
We offer high quality, rigorous instruction for grades 3-K to 5, including:
- Daily instruction in core curriculum areas (reading/language arts, math, science, and social studies)
- Many classes have at least one period of art per week
- Every class has at least one period of physical education per week
- Many classes have one or more periods of dance per week
- Movement is incorporated into every classroom through our “Move to Improve” initiative
- Technology, multimedia, and arts are infused throughout all content areas
A Hands-On Approach to Learning
At the Magnet School for Multimedia Arts & Design, every student has the opportunity to achieve. Our programs are academically rigorous and aligned to the New York State and NYC DOE curriculum standards.
Our curriculum is grounded in project-based learning (PBL), a hands-on approach to teaching and learning that is facilitated by the teacher but directed by the student. Each 4- to 5-week PBL unit addresses grade-level standards within the context of real-world questions that challenge students to conduct in-depth research and investigation, make connections to the world and their local communities, and develop their own ideas and solutions. The units culminate in a final project and presentation that incorporates our Multimedia Arts & Design theme. PBL encourages deep engagement with grade-level curriculum as well as development of the “4Cs” of 21st-Century skills:
- Critical Thinking
We provide a range of support services to help every student maximize learning potential. These supports include:
- Special Education Teacher Support Services (SETSS) for students requiring an Individualized Education Program (IEP), including speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and Adapted Physical Education (APE)
- In-school support for students struggling academically, using a Response to Intervention (RTI) model
- After-school academic support programs and Saturday Academy
- We also provide ENL (English as a New Language) for students
- Into Reading: A reading and language arts curriculum that is a proven path to reading and writing success.
- enVision Math: A visual, problem-based approach to math instruction that supports critical thinking and engagement with fundamental math concepts.
- National Geographic Panorama Science: An engaging, hands-on science program that teaches students to think, read, write, and argue like real scientists and engineers.
- Clever: Single sign-on for all of your child’s online resources and accounts.
- NYC Passport to Social Studies Core Curriculum: A comprehensive program based on the Common Core Learning Standards (CCLS) and NYS K-8 Social Studies Framework.
- Civics for All: A NYC DOE program that helps students make connections between history, current events, and democratic structures.
- News-o-Matic: A daily newspaper for elementary students with age-appropriate current events articles written at multiple reading levels.
BrainPOP Family Access
BrainPOP has many resources on their site that would interest your children. Many apps are available: BrainPOP, BrainPOPjr, BrainPOP ELL, BrainPOP Espanol. and BrainPOP Francais. Check it out here: BrainPOP Home Learning for Families
Khan Academy Curriculum Resources
Parents are able to create an account at Khan Academy Kids. There are many academic resources for children from grades Pre-K-12. Access it here: Khan Academy Parent Sign-up
PBS Kids is a great resource for your children. It has lots of videos for your child to watch on so many interesting topics. Check it out - PBS Kids.